Thursday, April 24, 2014

Ambler Gamers: Enter the British

The 28mm Peninsular British army I began last summer finally saw action in my Wednesday night game with the Ambler Gamers.  Our house rules continue to be polished, and last night's rumble provided many exciting moments.

I commanded the British left.  Don't let the peaceful village to my front fool you. The French right was strong. My goal was to keep them busy while Steve T. overpowered the French left.

Nosey sends off a Portuguese brigade. These troops wound up in the thick of  a ferocious firefight and lasted far longer than I had expected them to.

The British left. The Light Brigade tries to bolster the morale of some Spanish troops.  In the end, it would be the Spanish riding to the rescue of the British elites.

The British cavalry. Loaded on the right flank, they hoped to overpower the small French cavalry brigade they faced and then play havoc with the French infantry.

Looking down the French lines as Scott prepares his initial moves.

The view from the village. One French brigade is still out of sight to the right. You can see why the troops on my left were twitchy.  The troops on the far right of thus shot are Joe's "minor German states" by Perry. Very nice. 

Steve P. does not seem overly concerned that the energetic British cavalry charge on the first turn.  Poor dice rolling made this fight less uneven than we had hoped.

And the French turn the tables. Scott gets a good command roll for his cavalry in the center, and my poor limbered artillery gets caught without a prayer.

My plucky left flank prepares to face the onslaught. Note Scott's sneaky attack columns creeping around the woods to the left.

My lead battalion formed an emergency square to limit the damage of the cavalry charge. Unfortunately, the cavalry was able to sweep around it into the rest of the brigade.  These Highlanders will not last much longer.

Though Steve P.'s cavalry preformed heroically, Steve T. was able to cut short their efforts by bringing up the Light Brigade and blasting the survivors.

In the center, it looks like I might be able to do some damage if I can maneuver my troops into position.

As always, Joe served as our host and referee.  Here, he's giving Steve T. the sad news that a light infantry battalion just took fire in their rear.

The Portuguese get into action.  Though they take a pounding and eventually have to retire, they deal out their share of damage.

I was helped by some poor command rolls on Scott's part, and it took him a while to assemble a co-ordinated attack. One he was in position, though, there was little I could do to stop him.

I missed an opportunity on the previous turn, but I got a second chance to advance against the attack columns. My fire was not too effective, though, and the disciplined French were able to deploy into line in order to initiate a firefight.  All things being equal, i might have won the day, bur note the cranky Germans creeping up in the upper right.

On come the French!

One of my center brigades provided support to the left and could not provide the decisive blow in the center that I had hoped for.

Steve P. wonders how the Spanish were able to be the last men standing on the English right.  Their triumph was short-lived however, as the battered English brigades in the center and on the left began to fall back, conceding the field to the French.

No comments: