Thursday, October 9, 2014

A Table Groans, pt. 2: the British seek pain relief

Last night saw the conclusion of the monster Napoleonics game we started last Wednesday, in which an allied force of Russians, Prussians, and British took on a combined army of French, Bavarians, and Polish. I'm pretty sure this historical matchup took place historically.   In 1814. Or maybe it was 1799.  Anyhow, it was one of those battles that happened when no-one was looking.

As usual, my report will focus on that corner of the table where I had command.  I'm pretty sure noble and heroic deeds were performed in other sectors of the battlefield, but as they did not concern me, I will give them correspondingly less attention.  heh heh.

Looking at my position at the end of last week, I realized that any sane commander would realize that he was outnumbered and outmaneuvered and do his best to withdraw in good order.  My cavalry has exhausted itself protecting myself last week, and I was left with a wall of infantry to hold our army's right flank.I had cavalry supported by artillery pinning my infantry to the front, and three brigades of infantry pressing on the extreme right flank.  Of course, I'm not a sane and rational commander.  I'm a wargamer!  So the fight to the death begins.

I was going to need some serious pain reliever to get through this one...

The large blank space in the foreground is where cavalry and their supporting artillery should have been. Oops.

Meanwhile, towards the center, my Portuguese and Spanish allies to a respectable job of maintaining communication with the Russians.  The Spanish took a battering, and the Portuguese gave as good as they got.  Sadly, the British would let them down in the end.

But enough about me!  Mark was able to make it this week, and he drove masses of Russian infantry at the French center while his cavalry teamed up with the Prussians to pin the French guard.  One battery of French artillery made a valiant defense of their guns, slowing the Russian advance.  Apparently the guns were commanded by Capitaine van Damme.

Scott's French held a central position against the Prussians commanded by Steve Pilch who tried several times to break their lines.  Prussians sure do look pretty when they are massed up like this. 

A long view of the table, with my Brits int he foreground. You'll note that my flank position is becoming increasingly theoretical.  Eventually, my whole command broke, costing the Allies the game.  I, of course, blamed the late arrival of the Prussians.  Then I turned my defeat into a heroic narrative of British virtue in the face of adversity.  You know: the classic defense.

Our club mascot hung his head in shame at my craven flight.

Afterwards, we considered ways we could get more minis on the table. I love this club!

Next week, Scott and Steve Turn will test out a scenario they are preparing for Fall In.  Get ready for some Martian Mayhem.

No comments: